Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Masqouf

Great article in today's NY Times Dining and Wine section on masqouf, the traditional roasted carp dish of Iraq. I've had occasion to eat this several times when lunches were graciously provided by our Iraqi hosts. While carp is not my most favorite fish to eat, slow roasting on an open fire gives it a nice smoky flavor.

On the second page of the on-line version of the story, there is a paragraph about the import of carp fingerlings from Hungary. Credit for the project was rightly attributed to the Inma Agribusiness Program, specifically my colleague Duane Stone. Not to blow my horn too loudly here, but I was the one to initiate the project at the suggestion of an Iraqi colleague, Dr. Khalil Saleh. Duane saw the project through to completion following my departure from Iraq last year. Credit also goes to Akos Horvath in Hungary, who helped arrange for the fish on that end.

Be sure to check out the pictures.

1 comment:

Fred_Hunter said...

Just checked out the NYT slideshow. Wow. If you have a masqouf party, count me in.